How To Clean & Maintain Rendered Walls?
Rendered walls are an attractive and modern exterior finish, however they require regular cleaning and maintenance in order to stay looking their best. Whilst rendered walls look great when cleaned properly, they can become dull if not maintained correctly over time. This article will provide tips on how to clean and maintain your rendered walls, ensuring that they look as good as new for years to come.
What Are Rendered Walls?
Rendered walls are a type of wall cladding which is applied to the outside of a building and forms an extra layer of protection against the elements. It is usually made from cement or lime and sand mix, with pigments added to give it its colour or patterned effect. The render also helps insulate the building and protect it from the weather.
Rendered walls are typically used on modern buildings, although many older homes also have them. The most common type of render is a grey-coloured ‘dry dash’ finish which is made from cement, sand and water that has been mixed together before being applied to the wall. This type of render can be painted in any colour for added effect.
How To Clean Rendered Walls?
Cleaning rendered walls is essential to maintain their good looks and prevent dirt, grime and mould from accumulating over time. Here are some simple steps you should follow when cleaning your rendered walls:
- Start by brushing or vacuuming off any loose dirt or debris from the walls.
- Mix a solution of warm water and mild detergent in a bucket.
- Use a soft brush to gently scrub the rendered wall, making sure to cover all areas thoroughly.
- Rinse off any remaining soap residue with clean water, then dry the walls with a cloth.
- If necessary, you can use more powerful cleaning solutions such as bleach for tougher stains or mould growths on your rendered walls but be sure to read and follow manufacturer’s instructions carefully before using these products.
How To Maintain Rendered Walls?
Once cleaned, it is important to maintain your rendered walls regularly in order to keep them looking their best. Here are some tips for maintaining rendered walls:
- Re-paint or re-coat your rendered walls every few years in order to protect them from the elements and prevent dirt, grime and mould from building up over time.
- Inspect your rendered walls regularly for any signs of damage, such as cracks, discolouration or flaking paint. If you find any damaged areas, make sure to repair them promptly before they become worse.
- Seal all exposed edges with a sealant to help prevent water seeping into the substrate material which can lead to cracking and other damage over time.
- Use a high pressure washer at least once a year to remove any dirt and grime build up from your walls. However, be careful not to use too much pressure as this can damage the render.
- Regularly check for moss, mould or other growths on your rendered walls and treat them promptly with a specialist fungicidal wash if necessary.
Following these simple steps will help ensure that your rendered walls remain looking clean and attractive for years to come. A little bit of regular cleaning and maintenance goes a long way in keeping your rendered walls looking their best!
Rendered walls can provide a great aesthetic to the outside of your home, but they require regular cleaning and maintenance in order to keep them looking their best. By following the steps outlined above, you will be able to keep your rendered walls clean and attractive for years to come.