How Much Will Rendering Cost Me?
There’re several factors that affect the cost of doing a rendering project in Sydney. The experience of the renderer, the rendering contractor’s reputation, and the finishes and styles used largely determine the actual cost.
Essentially, the price is quoted per square meter. Thus, the property’s size will determine the actual cost. On average, the cost of a rendering project in Sydney ranges from $30 to $50 per square meter.
Factors That Affect the Cost of Rendering
Type of rendering material
There’re several types of materials used for rendering different surfaces. The rendering material you choose will contribute significantly towards the total cost of your rendering project. While some rendering materials are costly, rendering is a worthy project since it’ll increase your home’s value significantly.
The building’s location also affects the overall cost of rendering. The cost may be higher if the building is located far from suppliers or it’s difficult for suppliers and contractors to access it.
The size of your project
Most renderers charge for rendering services per square meter. Thus, they’ll evaluate how large the walls are and give you a quote. A larger rendering project will cost more since it’ll require more materials, labor, and time.
Types of Render Materials and their Estimated Cost
The render material used for your rendering project will largely contribute to the overall cost of rendering. The quality and texture of the render material also affect its specific cost. The most commonly used types of render materials and their estimated cost are:
The cost-effectiveness and simplicity of cement rendering make it a popular rendering material. On average, cement rendering costs $30 – $70 per sq. meter. The total cost of rendering an average house ranges between $12,000 and $20,000.
Although acrylic render is costlier than cement render, its popularity is growing, thanks to its numerous benefits. It’s often applied as a final coating on exterior finishes. It comes in a wide variety of premixed buckets. It requires a good base coat for a durable application.
On average, limestone rendering costs $50 per sq. meter. Limestone allows moisture to collect and evaporate, thereby allowing a building to breathe.
In this rendering, cement is mixed with a polymer and colored additives. The cost varies depending on the type of additives used in the mixture.
Other less common render materials include:
- Brick rendering: The cost of brick rendering ranges from $400 on the minimum to a maximum of $5,500.
- Insulating render: The average cost of insulating render is $100 – $150 per sq. meter. Insulating render is applied as an insulation layer over a render finish.
- Blueboard: It’s a form of sheet used as a base for cladding external walls with an acrylic render. Its cost varies depending on the acrylic render material used.
- Monocouche render: The average cost of monocouche render is $50 per sq. meter. It requires the installation of a fiberglass mesh when applying the initial monocouche layer. The mesh prevents the render from cracking, thereby enhancing its durability and strength.
Advantages of Rendering
It’s often overwhelming to choose the best rendering material for your budget and property. Regardless, rendering comes with numerous benefits including:
- Prevents drafts
- Improves the indoor climate
- Reduces energy use
- Waterproofs the walls
- Reduced energy bills
- Reduced need for repairs
- Covers exposed blocks or bricks
- Gives the building a new and complete look
Increases the value of a property
- Creates a clean, finished look
- Improves the property’s curb appeal
- Enhances the building’s aesthetics
- Makes a building look modern and stylish
- Adds value
Differences between Rendering, Plastering, and Cladding
Rendering is often done by applying cement on either exterior or interior walls to create a textured or smooth finish. Rendering is beneficial in that it improves insulation, enhances the look of a property, and protects a building from elements. On average, rendering costs $30 to 150 per sq. meter.
Plastering involves coating the ceilings and interior walls. Plastering creates a smooth and durable finish on the walls. It also creates a perfect surface for painting. On average, plastering costs $20 to 90 per sq. meter.
Cladding refers to any exterior wall material that’s applied on top of another material. Generally, cladding improves insulation, reduces maintenance costs, and enhances a home’s aesthetics. On average, cladding costs $30 to 80 per sq. meter.
Tips for Hiring a Rendering Contractor
- Ensure the contractor guarantees their work and the rendering materials used.
- Check their licensing and ensure they follow local requirements.
- Verify their license by contacting the local licensing authority
Tips for Creating an Accurate Cost Estimate
- Get the measurements of the walls that require rendering in terms of square footage
- Check online for renderers in your area
- Compare rates from different renderers
- Interview and shortlist the top contractors
- View the contractor’s previous work
- Request your friends and neighbors for referrals
- Request the contractor to visit your property
Tips for Saving Money When Hiring a Rendering Contractor
- Prepare the surface yourself
- Choose cost-effective rendering materials
- Hire a rendering contractor in Sydney during off-peak season as prices tend to be lower at that time
FAQS on Rendering
What’s the cost of rendering a house?
The cost of rendering a house varies. On average, it can cost you about $12,000 – $20,000 to render a house measuring 500 sq. meters. The cost of rendering a house made of brick varies based on the kind of rendering material used. The experience and reputation of the rendering contractor also determine the final cost.
Which coloured render should I choose?
Take advantage of tester pots when choosing a colour. Reputable rendering companies offer tester pots to assist you in choosing the right coloured render material for your house. It’s advisable to view different colours in-person to know how the shade you want will look upon application. That way, the final result will be satisfactory.
Does coloured render require reapplication?
You can reapply and refresh coloured render every 10 years or when it starts to fade as a result of exposure to environmental elements. A great option is using silicone paint due to its tinted properties and ease of matching the initial rendering colour.
How long will render last?
Exterior render lasts between two to three decades. Factors like the property’s location and the render material used have a huge impact on the longevity of the render.
Also read: Differences between Render and Plaster